Sustainability of water and wastewater projects after completion of implementation
With the end of November, Watan neared completion of implementing all the works of the project "Supporting the water, sanitation and camp coordination sectors for the most vulnerable people residing in informal camps in north-western Syria", which it worked on in partnership with the Syrian Cross-border Humanitarian Fund (SCHF).
Regarding the part of the project for water and sewage networks in each of the villages: Darat Azza, Babka, Kafr Nasih, Abyan in the Atarib area, northwest of Aleppo, Watan has completed the following stages:
In Darat Azza:
- The extension of the sewage network within the village has been completed according to the plans
- The implementation of the water and sewage lines has been completed for both projects, all new water lines have been introduced into service, water has been pumped and pumping operations have been tested. The preparation for the phase of providing diesel for operation is underway: training and employment a small team from within the village to follow up the operation, pumping, maintenance, and collection process to ensure the continuation of the operation and pumping process until after the completion of the project.
- There is a continuation of awareness sessions on the disease COVID-19 daily, accompanied by awareness leaflets.
In Kafr Nasih:
- The operations of extending water lines were fully completed with the proposed new lines, and the installation and testing of generating sets and pumping water within the lines were completed, to ensure that the network works without any technical errors.
- Coinciding with the implementation processes, a technical small team been selected and trained to follow up the operations to ensure the continuity of work. Preparations are underway for procedures to provide diesel to run the generating sets. In addition to the continuation of awareness sessions on COVID-19 within this village as well, targeting the same number of families.
- The water networks were fully extended in addition to the recently proposed lines, operating panels were installed and tested, the network’s effectiveness was confirmed after pumping water within the lines, and a staff was appointed to follow up the operation, maintenance, and collection process, in addition to preparing for the process of providing diesel to operate the generating sets.
- Sewage networks are within the village, and the network works well without any obstacles.
- The results of the project began to appear in the villages in which the work was completed, after the problems and suffering of the beneficiaries disappeared with the demise of the old sewage lines and septic tanks, and after the direct connection of the new lines, and the arrival of clean water to all the residents and the displaced within the villages where the water networks were carried out, which helped to negate the need for tanks and thus about thinking about the possibility of transporting contaminated water.
The total number of beneficiaries is estimated to be more than 7750 families whose numbers exceed more than 42,580 individuals upon the completion of the works.
In other parts of the project Watan continues to provide displaced people residing in the 31 camps of the areas Al-Bardakli, Kafr Lusin, Kafr Daryan, Bab Al-Hawa, Sarmada, Koftin, Qah, Sarjibla in the northern countryside of Idlib with sterile water tanks for the tenth month in a row, and services of transferring solid waste, the emptying of septic tanks, the distribution of hygiene baskets, garbage containers and packing cubes, in addition to periodic sessions to enhance personal hygiene. The number of beneficiaries from these activities reached 42,000 individuals, and the number of people benefiting from the sessions to enhance personal hygiene is estimated at more than 6500 individuals.